About No. 82
History at 82 Onkaparinga Valley Road, Woodside, South Australia, 5244
Repurposing a 1850s bungalow, now a modern business centre people in business
No. 82 Onkaparinga Valley Road, Woodside, has a hidden secret that can still be found today. The 1920s looking bungalow is actually a 1856 stone cottage and Woodside's 19th residential building. Signs of the original cottage can still be found, from its northern blue stone walls to its internal second passage. At one stage, No. 82 was a three-room cottage and the home of Woodside's first school teacher and later, a manse for the St Mark's Anglican church.
Below are the facts that we know. If you know of any further details or have some early photos, we would like to hear from you. Call Gordon on 08 8389 7737 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Johnston family of Oakbank founded Woodside in the early 1850s.
Local farmers son, John George Howard Jr. purchased lot 12 (now 82 Onkaparinga Valley Road, Woodside) for £10 on the 19 August 1854.
A three room Tapley blue stone cottage was erected by 1856. Around the same time the Woodside Primary School commenced with John Howard Jr. appointed its first teacher.
A water well was dug near the boundary of 80 and 82 Onkaparinga Valley Road and by 1980, the well was filled back in with the opening mostly covered by the present day garage.
Evidence still remains of a makeshift timber lean-to structure added to the rear of the building and was most likely used as an outside laundry and sheltered store area.
Gold was also discovered in the area. The largest mine was the Bird-in-Hand mine which operated from 1881 to 1889.
1905 - 1910
Around 1905 - 1910, that the original blue stone bungalow received a major makeover. This included a full length passage, two large rooms, new Laundry / kitchen and a completely new iron roof.
The new structure is of Glen Ewin Sandstone. It's likely that the original Tapley blue stone street frontage was redressed with the more fashionable sandstone.
The finishing touch was a Craftsman style porch and gable roof.
Craftsman bungalows became a popular style of small houses throughout the country from about 1900 through the 1925s
The period, 1905 - 1910, was determined from the lead light window manufacture's records and a particular type of glass imported in from England at this time.
1918 to 1963 Woodside was serviced by the rail that extended to Mount Pleasant
During 1970's a skillion roofed structure was added to the rear of the building along with a Pergola. This made way for a new kitchen / dining area. The previous Laundry and kitchen was modified to include a bathroom and new Laundry.
Chimneys removed and internals modified were completed along with new windows.
By the time we purchased the property in 2013, the building was in need of major repairs and a good makeover. Eg. Termites had taken out most of the 1970 additions, roof structural failure, raising salt damp and water damaged floors.
A New Chapter for the next 100+ years
Overall the building, now 170 years old, shows little sign of movement and cracking. The following work was completed to extend its life well into the 22nd century.
Removed 1970 renovations and asbestos walls.
Replaced all early electrical wiring and plumbing.
Replaced early concrete / dirt floor associated with 1905 - 1910 Kitchen / laundry with a full strength concrete slab.
Remodelled 1970's bathroom & laundry.
Replaced lean-to structure and restored all stone walls.(Removed paint)
Replaced water damage floors & bearers in North Wing and passage.
Insulated with R3.5 throughout ceiling areas and fitted energy efficient / automated LED lighting and ceiling fans.
Strengthened roof structure with laminated beams with new gutters and down pipes installed.
Replaced floors and bears in two rooms and redressed floors in 3 rooms.
Replaced two asbestos ceilings with plaster board.
Removed all lead based paint and repainted the complete building.
Remodelled external gardens and car parking area.
Repurposed for the business centre with wheelchair access.
Termite treatment applied
Installed 3 air conditioning units.
Installed public electric vehicle (EV) charger.
Installed 5kW PV solar panels.
Erected large 3 bay workshop with heavy duty concrete floor.
Installed new fence to rear of property
Treated building to stop salt damp
Replaced over 100 salt damp effected foundation stones and repointing
Cladded garage with colour-bond iron, insulated and lined. (Now the Out-Space)
Paving to front of No. 82
Public Defibrillator & First Aid Station installed
If only these old stone walls could talk.
Listed 11th July 1851 by Johnson.
Transfer 19th Aug 1854 - Lot 12 Purchased by John Howard Jr. (Woodside Primary School's first teacher) for £10
1856 - Three room stone cottage built and occupied by the Howards.
Transfer 7th Nov 1871 - Church of England.
Leased 27th Nov 1871 - Leased to Dr. Hermann Charles Frederick Esau until his death in 1901 and used as a Manse for church minister.
Divided 1966 - Title divided from large church property.
Transfer 12th Apr 1966 - G. J. & P. J. Langbein (Transport)
Divided 1966 - Title divided again with rear section appended to 1 John Street
Transfer 9th May 1966 - Frederick Ernest Boyton
Transfer (Estate) 2nd Oct 1969 - Latimer P. Boyton (Lattie) 2nd Wife of F. Boyton.
Leased 21st Dec 1974 - Leased to Fredrick & Colleen Packer
Transfer 20th Apr 1978 - Frederick Arthur Packer
Transfer 4th Oct 1991 - William Robert Coulthard
Transfer 30th Oct 1998 - Daniel Joseph Stopford
Transfer 27th Jun 2013 - ESS Pty Ltd Trading as Adelaide Hills Business Centre
Findings During Renovations
Well opening. Approx. 1.5m in diameter.
News papers dated late 1800s.
Lots of horse shoes and scrap iron.
Parts from a "Star" motor vehicle built in Wolfingham England along with vehicle plates.
Original power cables to building. Lead over paper wrapped copper wires. (Used in the early 1900s)
Old tins and currency.
Tapley Blue Stone Cottage. The rear of the building had a makeshift lean-to (not shown) and the front of the building may have been pre dressed with sand stone as it appears currently.
Water Well near boundary
1905 - 1910
Major Sandstone additions to Southern sides and Craftsman Porch under new iron roof.
The original passage is now a Walk in robe or store area
Added timber cladded lean-to and pergola. Chimneys removed and internals changed.
Repurposed for Business Centre. Major restoration for another 100+ years.
Before & After Photos
At time of purchase
Opening of centre after renovations and repainted
2013 - The 1970s lean to structure was damaged by termites so removed as shown. Early renovations also showed that these walls had been painted and covered by stud work and paster board.
2014 - Soon after renovation. All stone walls returned to original state and lean to rebuild.
Collapsing roof structure and termite damage in South Wing.
South Wing built around 1905 - 1910
2014 South Wing repurposed for Cowork Space
2014 South Wing repurposed with Digital Boardroom
1854 North Wing bearers and floors are replaced with additional underfloor air ventilation installed.
2014 North Wing refurbished with Media Studio
2014 Refurbished with Meeting Rooms
North Wing 1905-10 Kitchen / Laundry reveals former stove recess and hot water jacket. The chimney soot indicates two fire boxes and flues
2014 Modern kitchen and bathrooms located now where the 1905-10 Kitchen / Laundry once was.
Over time, rising damp had turn much of the lower sandstone blocks into a soft powered consistency.
Modern Salt Damp treatment was applied to foundations. A row of holes show the application.
2018 Over 100 Foundation Stones were replaced with modern damp coarse installed.
Many of the replacement stones came from local ruins with larger blocks being custom cut at Basket Range Sandstone Quarry.
The stone mason, Tony Challen, dressed and colour matched the newly cut stones to have the same oxidised appearance.